Sow-per Glazed Ham
The flavorful glaze gets its pleasant tang from fruit juice and mustard. This recipe is one I frequently fix for holidays.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 fully cooked bone-in half ham (8 to 9 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or fruit juice of your choice
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Score the surface of the ham, making 1/2-in.-deep diamond shapes; insert a clove in each diamond. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 hours.
- For glaze, combine the brown sugar, juice and mustard; spoon some over ham. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°, basting occasionally with remaining glaze.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 423 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1545mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Ham with Mustard Glaze in Taste of Home August/September 2005