- 2 packages (5.6 ounces each) refrigerated taco salad shells*
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole
- Prepare taco salad shells according to package directions; set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef, onions, garlic and seasonings over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in beans; heat through, about 5 minutes. Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture into each salad shell. Top with lettuce, about 1/4 cup meat mixture, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthwestern Taco Salad
"This was the first taco salad I have had & made. It was delicious. I was in Az. for 7 months & thought the recipe should be good coming from that southwestern area. Everyone had seconds & my son requested the leftovers the next day. Our supermarket didn't have the taco bowls though. Sending the recipe to my daughter. This has become a favorite."