I came up with this attractive side dish when my best friend unexpectedly stayed for dinner. While my husband grilled pork chops, I perked up potatoes with tasty taco fixings. The results received rave reviews. This recipe is even quicker to fix with leftover baked potatoes. —Penny Dykstra Porterville, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Sour cream and salsa, optional
- Pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until almost tender. Cool slightly; peel and cut into 1/8-in. slices.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased microwave-safe 9-in. pie plate. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers. Top with onions and olives.
- Microwave, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Spuds in Quick Cooking March/April 2001
Apr 27, 2014
Easy, foolproof, and tasty!! You can be creative and add things like ground beef to make it a main course, or double the recipe for a crowd. Can't go wrong with this family fave. It's also too affordable not to make it often!