This recipe has a nice flavor and golden color, and is especially good served with enchiladas, which we New Mexicans enjoy during any season.
Recommended: Our Best 4th of July Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, stir together all ingredients except last two. Pour half the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chilies and cheese. Pour remaining batter over all. Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes or just until set. Serve warm with a spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Spoon Bread in Country February/March 1992, p49
Reviews forSouthwestern Spoon Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 22, 2014
"very good recipe!!!"
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2009
"This is a great recipe, just make sure you reserve enough batter to cover the top."