Southwestern Spoon Bread
This recipe has a nice flavor and golden color, and is especially good served with enchiladas, which we New Mexicans enjoy during any season.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, stir together all ingredients except last two. Pour half the batter into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chilies and cheese. Pour remaining batter over all. Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes or just until set. Serve warm with a spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 271 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Spoon Bread in Country February/March 1992