Southwestern Sausage Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 turkey Italian sausage links (about 1/4 pound), casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon canned green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan, combine potato and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Crumble sausage into a small skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Add sausage mixture to potatoes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 337 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1315mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 11g fiber), 20g protein.
Oct 16, 2011
Very good and feeling. I changed a few things I dont care for kidney beans so used 3/4 cups of pinto and black beans. I make my own so can control salt. Used no salt added tomatoes. Also did have turkey sausage so used chicken sausage with habanero with monterey jack.(one link has 520 sodium and 8 grams of fat. Next time will try it with the turkey.