My mother gave me this recipe several years ago, and we have prepared it often ever since. It can be a meal in itself...or serve it along with a Mexican meal. I often take it to potlucks and watch it disappear in no time!
Recommended: Salad Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Catalina salad dressing, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups corn chips
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the beans, green onions, tomato, avocado and half of the Catalina dressing. Top with cheese and then lettuce. Refrigerate. Just before serving, add corn chips to salad and toss. Serve with remaining dressing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Salad in Country Extra July 1993, p51
Reviews forSouthwestern Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2009
"Made salad as directed but substituted Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch dressing for the Catalina...fabulous!"