Southwestern Rice Casserole
“We really enjoy this hearty dish,” says Betty Claycomb of Alverton, Pennsylvania. “Just add a side salad for a nutritious, complete meal.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-2/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3-1/3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the beans, olives and rice. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, sour cream and chili powder.
- Spoon half of the rice mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; layer with half of the cheese mixture and salsa. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Rice Bake in Light & Tasty February/March 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.