Whenever I have a hard time planning dinner, my husband requests his favorite bake. Often, I use it as an entree, served with warm tortillas. Other times, I eliminate the meat and present it as a spicy side dish.
Recommended: 50 Cowboy Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes and green onions, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, beef, sour cream, 3/4 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Serve with olives, tomatoes and onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Rice Bake in Country Woman May/June 2002, p29
Reviews forSouthwestern Rice Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 17, 2013
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2010
"Delicious and so easy! I love one dish meals."