Southwestern Refried Bean Soup Recipe
- 4 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/4 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- 1. In a medium saucepan, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel to drain. Crumble and set aside. In the drippings, saute the onion and celery; sprinkle with the garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, picante sauce, broth, parsley and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Refried Bean Soup
"This is very quick to make and is filling and delicious for those who enjoy southwest flavors...also low in fat if used with fat free cheese for garnish, no fat refried beans, and Tostitos baked scoop tortilla chips..yum!"
"I have made this recipe several times, me and my husband both love it! I have to double the recipe just for the two of us!"
"For this recipe I used thick sliced Black Forest Bacon fried in lime juice. This livened up the bacon with citrus flavor and really enhanced the soup. This has become one of my favorite soups to make."
"YUMMY! I have just recently started to enjoy cooking, and this soup made me feel like a gourmet cook! It was so easy and delicious - very flavorful - and reminded me of a dish I'd find at a restaurant. I used several drops of hot sauce and believe I will add fresh cilantro next time rather than parsley. I also thought a small amount of black beans would be nice for added protein. I can't wait to make this again!"