I first made this dish when I was hosting a brunch. The Southwestern flavors really pop when served with salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa and cubed avocado, optional
- In a greased 9-in. pie plate, arrange tortillas in an overlapping pattern so that they cover sides and bottom of pie plate, forming a crust. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until fully cooked; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add onion, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half of the cheese, chorizo, cream, tomato, garlic powder and cumin. Stir in mushroom mixture. Pour into pie plate; top with remaining cheese. Cover edges of quiche with foil so tortillas do not burn.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and avocado if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 662 calories, 50g fat (24g saturated fat), 287mg cholesterol, 1376mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Foncita Quiche in Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2016