I first made this dish when I was hosting a brunch. The Southwestern flavors really pop when served with salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa and cubed avocado, optional
- In a greased 9-in. pie plate, arrange tortillas in an overlapping pattern so that they cover sides and bottom of pie plate, forming a crust. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until fully cooked; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add onion, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half of the cheese, chorizo, cream, tomato, garlic powder and cumin. Stir in mushroom mixture. Pour into pie plate; top with remaining cheese. Cover edges of quiche with foil so tortillas do not burn.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and avocado if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 662 calories, 50g fat (24g saturated fat), 287mg cholesterol, 1376mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Foncita Quiche in Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.