Southwestern Pasta & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 center-cut bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pepper and onions in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, chili powder, chipotle pepper, salt and cumin until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in bacon and cilantro. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 240 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Apr 4, 2013
Fantastic! Will definitely make again, the heat level was perfect, totally customizable and easy to put together. Yum!
Sep 23, 2010
This was great! I doubled the recipe to serve at a party and added a bit more cheese. Made a ton of yummy food! We also used wagon wheels instead of bowties. Delicious and great reheated the next day, too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.