Southwestern Mini Muffins
Spicy foods are popular here in the Valley of the Sun, and these muffins certainly aren't bland-tasting. They can easily be made into an appetizer - just split them in half and top with a thin slice of ham or cheese.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Add cheese; toss well. Stir in chilies, egg, mustard, milk and butter. Pour over flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into greased mini muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until done. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 57 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Mini Muffins in Country Extra July 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.