My family loves spicy foods, so my files are filled with recipes that call for salsa and cumin. This pie can easily be taken to the harvest fields in summer and fall.—Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
Recommended: 50 Cowboy Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup finely crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Additional salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 3/4 cup salsa, cracker crumbs, cumin, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes; drain.
- Combine the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining salsa. Spread over meat shell. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Meat Loaf Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p176
Reviews forSouthwestern Meat Loaf Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review