"I made this eye-catching salad for my parents' 50th anniversary party and everyone enjoyed it," says Mary VanLangendon of Green Bay, Wisconsin. The cilantro dressing adds pizzazz to layers of egg, avocado and veggies.
Recommended: 58 Summer Party Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups shredded romaine
- 8 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 3-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- CILANTRO DRESSING:
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/4 cups minced fresh cilantro
- Sliced ripe olives, cherry tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Place the romaine in a large salad bowl. Arrange some egg slices around edge of bowl; place remaining eggs over romaine. Top with tomatoes. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans and onions; spoon over tomatoes. In another large bowl, drizzle lime juice over avocados; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle avocados over tomatoes; spreading to sides of bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin and chili powder. Stir in cilantro. Pour dressing over salad. Garnish with olives, cherry tomatoes and cheese if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Layered Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p41
Reviews forSouthwestern Layered Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2010
"I made this about 1 hour before eating and refrigerated it. I found it to be pretty soggy and would recommend anyone that try this recipe to serve immediately."