"This flavorful yet not too spicy sauce for tender lamb is our family's favorite," informs Margaret Pache of Mesa, Arizona. "It's tasty with any choice of grilled meat," she adds.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup halved sliced sweet onion
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup fresh orange sections
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 inch thick)
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, jalapeno, cumin, salt if desired and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture begins to simmer. Stir in onion. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in oranges and cilantro; keep warm. Grill the lamb chops, covered, over medium-hot heat for 12-14 minutes, turning once, or until a meat thermometer reads 140° rare; 160°, medium-well; or 170°, well done. Serve with orange sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Lamb Chops in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p57