"This flavorful yet not too spicy sauce for tender lamb is our family's favorite," informs Margaret Pache of Mesa, Arizona. "It's tasty with any choice of grilled meat," she adds.
Recommended: 34 Incredible Burgers to Grill This Summer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup halved sliced sweet onion
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup fresh orange sections
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 8 lamb loin chops (1 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, jalapeno, cumin, salt if desired and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture begins to simmer. Stir in onion.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in oranges and cilantro; keep warm.
- Grill lamb chops, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with orange sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Lamb Chops in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p57