- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, chilies and dry seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in macaroni and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthwestern Goulash
"We had this delicious dish tonight. We loved it. Because of all the remarks about it being bland, I added 2 tablespoons of Williams chili Seasoning to it but I could have used chili powder. I did cook the macaroni separately only because I do that to have both done at the same time. Then combine them. Thanks to all the reviewers for such good reviews. We will be having this recipe again.Volunteer Field Editor"
"I followed the recipe but thought this lacked flavor. Southwest food is some of my favorite dishes but this was so bland. I'm rewarmimg it tomorrow and will add more cumin and definitely more cilantro. I also found a jar of dry Mexican seasoning and will be adding that in. I also would double the tomato sauce and reduce it to one can of diced tomatoes. It's ok but will definitely be tweaking this recipe. I like the other reviews of adding taco seasoning and jalapeno. I am really hoping adding the additional spices will perk this up!!"
"Made this with turkey burger and it was also good with that."
"I was afraid this would lack flavor, but I did not feel that it did. I enjoyed it the first night, as well as leftovers for the next couple of nights (it's just me) I thought it was very good. I may try it next time with taco seasoning (omitting the cumin, salt and pepper) just to see how it was."
"I made it as directed. It looked good, but lacked flavor. If I make it again, I would try using fresh jalapenos, increase the cumin a bit, maybe add a little oregano and garnish with grated or crumbled cheese."
"I was wondering if you could make this is a pressure cooker or a crock Pot? I have an Instant Pot here that I love to use"
"So quick to make. Tasted good also. Great weeknight meal!"
"One of the best goulash recipes my stomach has ever craved. Thank you for sharing over the recipe! :)"
"I have been making Goulash very similar to this for over 40 years. I don't add corn or cilantro (daughter didn't like them) and I used Williams chili Seasoning to taste. Always made a big batch because it was one of the few things my daughter would eat two days in a row. As easy as a "box" mix and so much better!"