Southwestern Fried Rice
This speedy skillet supper from Marcia Lee of Dewitt, New York combines tender cubes of chicken with a variety of vegetables, rice, salsa and seasoning. Try pairing her entree with refried beans or corn bread for fun fiesta fare.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken, corn, green pepper and onion in oil until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the broth, salsa, chili powder and cayenne; bring to a boil. Add the rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Southwestern Fried Rice in Light & Tasty October/November 2003