Southwestern Fried Rice
This speedy skillet supper from Marcia Lee of Dewitt, New York combines tender cubes of chicken with a variety of vegetables, rice, salsa and seasoning. Try pairing her entree with refried beans or corn bread for fun fiesta fare.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken, corn, green pepper and onion in oil until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the broth, salsa, chili powder and cayenne; bring to a boil. Add the rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 278 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.