Southwestern Corn Bread
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1. Place corn in a food processor or blender; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add the cheese, chilies and corn.
- 3. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
1 slice: 243 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Feb 21, 2020Followed the recipe. Recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon off baking soda. I did not get a rise. Cornbread thick and heavy. Waste of ingredients. Most recipes for cornbread call for the of more teaspoons of baking powder.
Mar 7, 2013
This was a great cornbread. It wasn't dry and I loved the addition of the green chilies and chopped up corn to give it some interesting texture. I will be keeping this recipe!