Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, drained
- Warm flour tortillas, optional
- Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, brown pork in oil; drain. Add onion; cook for 2 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add hominy; simmer 30 minutes longer or until pork is tender. Serve with tortillas if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Jan 25, 2015
It's a keeper! Top with tortilla strips before serving. Delicious!
Oct 13, 2012
THIS IS A MEXICAN DISH CALLED PAZOLE. IN MEXICO IT'S MADE WITH SOME DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS, BUT IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.