Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn, thawed
- Crushed tortilla chips and reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cook 10 minutes longer. Top with tortilla chips and cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without chips and cheese): 158 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Tortilla Soup
"easy and excellent flavor"
"I did not have crushed tomatoes, so I used two cans of diced tomatoes. This soup was very good. Some of the reviewers said they thought it was bland. We did not find it bland at all. I will definitely make this again."
"This recipe just did not live up to the chicken tortilla soups that I have had in the past. I even substituted a can of Rotel for the crushed tomatoes as someone had previously mentioned. I’m on a low sodium diet, so I recognize the lack of salt can affect the taste, but that wasn’t the case here. It was too watery and lacked true southwest flavor. Probably won’t make it again."
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken, replace the chicken broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth and change one can of tomatoes to mild Rotel tomatoes. Top with some tortilla strips (i like fresh gourmet tortilla strips, found with the croutons) and cheese, it's fast and delicious!"
"I love this recipe, I use shredded rotisserie chicken and replace the broth with Swanson's Mexican Tortilla broth, top with tortilla strips ( I like Fresh Gourmet tortilla strips - found with the croutons in the produce dept.) and cheese. It's fast and delicious!"
"To those who think it "bland" or "sort of flavorless," please remember that even though servings still have 873 mg sodium, this is a recipe made with reduced-sodium broth and without the addition of salt as a line item ingredient. It relies on the sodium in the canned items. I think the recipe is quite savory and agree with a previous poster that it allows the flavors of the ingredients to come through."
"I must say I was disappointed, not much flavor, kinda bland.Won't make it again."