Southwestern Chicken Skillet
—Renee Shepherd, Felton, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 large sweet yellow peppers, julienned
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice; set aside. In a large skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the peppers, onion, oregano, cumin and pepper flakes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 202 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Santa Cruz in Country Woman January/February 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.