In North Richland Hills, Texas, Virginia Stencel mixes chicken, beans and corn with fresh jicama for a fun change of pace. The medley’s coated in a flavorful barbecue-ranch dressing with crunchy tortilla strips on top.
Featured In: Salad Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 cups ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled jicama or sliced water chestnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 4 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet; spritz both sides of strips with butter-flavored cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 4-5 minutes or until crisp. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink; set aside.
- Combine the salad greens, corn, beans, 1 cup tomatoes, green pepper, jicama and onions; arrange on a serving platter. Place chicken in center of salad; sprinkle with cheese and remaining tomatoes. Arrange tortilla strips around chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce; serve with salad. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p48
Reviews forSouthwestern Chicken Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2013
"This is so good. My whole family loved it.I didn't have any black beans :( so I used Kidney beans. Also, I used reg. tortilla chips and just limited the amount. Next time I may try to add something to the dressing to add a little more zip."