Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer after 45 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the chicken; cook 15 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 187 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Chicken Barley Soup
"Very flavorful. I cut back a bit on the seasonings and chilis as my stomach has become sensitive to Mexican flavors. I left out the beans, cut back on the corn (used frozen). All in all, an excellent recipe and worth making again!"
"This is one of our favorite soups, been making it for years. I've served it to guests with rave reviews and recipe requests. So simple too. As a matter of fact I'm making it tonight for hubby to take on a hunting trip.I don't rinse and drain the beans; I figure there's just a little more fiber in there for us."
"I loved it. I used frozen corn and a rotesire chicken."
"It was zippy! Everyone in our fellowship liked this; I made a full pot and brought home one serving. However, it took me 3 hours to make it. I used frozen corn, cooked and tomatoes w/green chilies in addition to the tom. sauce and diced tomatoes. Also used chicken broth instead of the water."
"My husband and I loved it. healthy and yummy!"