- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon cubes, vegetables, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the salsa; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forSouthwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup
"Tried this soup and loved it. It's a great twist on broccoli cheese soup and a great meatless option. I used regular hash browns because apparently I can't read recipes right when making my shopping list and we used more of a pico de gallo type of salsa, and added some diced red bell pepper and it was very delicious. We will be making this again definitely!!"
"This was delicious! Highly recommend it. I had about 3/4 lb of ground beef I needed to use up so I threw that in. I cubed 3 potatoes instead of using frozen hash browns, and I used frozen broccoli because that's what I had on hand. Definitely a keeper!"
"We added hamburger meat with taco season. Very GOOD!"
"LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! I have made this serveral time!!"
"This was a great soup! My entire family loved it! I added a chopped medium onion to the recipe. Will definitely make again!"
"This was a huge hit with my family. My son asked for soup because his braces had just been adjusted. I only made half a recipe because I did not want to have lots left over if they didn't like it. I'm making a full recipe today because they cleaned the pot and wanted more. I did change three things because of what was on hand. I used chicken stock instead of bouillon because I do not use bouillon. I used a finely diced potato and Mexican Velveeta. Great way to get kids to eat vegetables."
"Excellent!! I just made this soup and am enjoying my first bowl. I used a litte less velveeta but tossed in some shredded colby-jack cheese. I also threw in a few shakes of Emeril's Southwest essence. I could never do this in 25 minutes, but wow! A keeper!"
"Amazing! I followed the recipe exactly with excellent results. Delicious with warm bread!"