Southwestern Beef Panini
This fast favorite will hit the spot, particularly when you're short on time. Shredded beef, spicy Jack cheese and sauteed onion and green pepper are sandwiched between slices of hearty bread, then lightly grilled in a panini pan. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (17 ounces) refrigerated fully cooked beef roast au jus
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices firm Italian or sourdough bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 to 12 slices deli-style pepper Jack cheese
- Prepare roast beef according to package directions; drain. Shred beef using 2 forks; set aside. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; set aside.
- In a panini grill with lid, cook pepper and onion in oil until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place four slices, buttered side down, on work surface. Top each slice with 1-2 slices of cheese, one-quarter of each shredded beef, pepper and onions, avocado and about 2 tablespoons sauce.
- Top with remaining bread, butter side up. Cover and cook over medium heat about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 854 calories, 55g fat (26g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 1482mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Beef Panini in Taste of Home Cooking School Taste of Spring 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.