- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Sour cream, optional
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the salsa, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Zucchini Boats
"These were divine! I didn't microwave the zucchini prior to baking and they turned out fine. Wouldn't change a thing about this recipe, so good!"
"Love this! I used Italian sausage and added garlic."
"Had a long day at work and made these for dinner. I was going to pre-cook the zucchini in the microwave and then finish up in the oven but decided to cook them as written?and I'm glad I did. How easy?how delicious. We were eating one hour after I got home and that included changing my clothes and going to the garden to pick the zucchini. I used just under 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef so upped the salsa and seasoning amounts a bit. Did not have fresh cilantro but used fresh curly leaf parsley from the garden for a bit of freshness. Just the two of us so we have dinner for tomorrow already made!!! My husband said this recipe is a keeper!!!"
"this never says anything about adding the scooped out zucchini!! R U supposed to slice it, cube it, what????????"
"Delicious and so easy to make! My husband loved these!"
"Whole family loved it!!"
"Excellent flavor. Although I prefer cubing the zucchini, mixing the guts with the rest of the ingredients and using a small casserole dish rather than making boats."
"These were excellent! Though the zucchini is rather bland, the stuffing is spicy enough to give each bite lots of taste. They were easy and fast to make also - without even using the oven."