- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and rice in a large bowl; stir in salsa, sour cream and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese; bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Vegetarian Bake
"This was wonderful!! My husband was skeptical because there is no meat, but he said, "Please make it again!" I did add taco seasoning after reading the reviews. We liked it the first night and the leftovers heated well. I think it would be good in a wrap or eaten with tortilla chips."
"FIVE STAR!!! Fantastic and so easy to make. I did saute sweet pepper, onion and green chilies before adding and also used kidney beans instead (taste perferance)"
"easy and good."
"This was so easy and tasty! I added some taco seasoning. This is so versatile - you could add avocados on top, etc. Thanks for sharing!!"
"This recipe is absolutely wonderful! So extremely flavorful!"
"Great dish. After reading the comments, I added a few teaspoons of low sodium taco seasoning, and used 1 can of low sodium pinto beans and a can of low sodium cannellini beans. I used the diced tomatoes with celery, garlic and onions and added some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Delicious! I doubled the amount of rice and added a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and it was great!"
"This dish had great flavor. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice a little. I will make again of course with the rice cooked properly"
"My family never thought they would like a vegetarian dish. You wont even miss the meat in this one."