- 2 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 18 Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa and guacamole
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles.
Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve in lettuce leaves with cheese and toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Turkey Lettuce Wraps
"I made this a couple weeks ago, easy to make and my husband and I both really enjoyed this dish! It's a keeper!"
"Fantastic!! I fixed the meat mixture the night before and just heated it when we were ready to eat. Served it on red leaf lettuce, with sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese, then steamed some veggies for a side. Big hit here!"
"easy to make and tasty to eat. I will be adding this recipe to my kitchen keeper list."