Southwest Turkey Casserole
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, cumin and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture. Stir in the turkey, tomatoes, corn and peas. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
2 cups: 611 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1489mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 52g protein.
Nov 29, 2009
Tasty! But we felt this could have easily used twice as much turkey as called for. Just to make it prettier, think I'll use penne or mini bowtie pasta next time.
Dec 31, 1969
Made this, doubled the receipe, used Dole tomatoes with mild green chiles and leftover pork roast. Really good