VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, cumin and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture. Stir in the turkey, tomatoes, corn and peas. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Turkey Casserole in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p31
Reviews forSouthwest Turkey Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 22, 2009
"Made this, doubled the receipe, used Dole tomatoes with mild green chiles and leftover pork roast. Really good"