"I wanted to cut back on red meat, but my husband thinks ground turkey can be dry,” says Lindsay Ludden of Omaha, Nebraska. “I think the taco seasoning and jalapeno juice in this recipe give the turkey added flavor and moistness…and he agrees!”
Recommended: 22 Ground Beef Skillet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 flour tortilla (10 inches), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno slices
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water, olives, taco seasoning and juice from jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeno. Remove from the heat and cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Tortilla-Turkey Skillet in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p54
Reviews forSouthwest Tortilla-Turkey Skillet
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2011
"This was amazing. Instead of cooking the tortilla bits in we just wrapped it up in them and it was incredible!"