Southwest Surprise Bread
Fat-free refried beans are the surprise ingredient in these soft, high-rising loaves with just a hint of heat. “Beans increase the protein content of the bread and are so good! We serve this instead of garlic bread with Mexican dishes.” Sandra Lee Herr - Stevens, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the beans, sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 104 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Pinto Bean Bread in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009