Southwest Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (17 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce, mild, medium or hot
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In skillet, brown beef and onions. Drain any excess fat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Stew
"This recipe is one of our favorites. We make it often using different kinds of beans."
"I will definitely make this again because it's so easy and all my family loved it."
"I thought this was a little bland, so I had to add some salt, fresh ground pepper, and Tobasco sauce. Maybe next time I'll use a hotter picante sauce. I didn't add the potatoes, but I can see how that would improve the taste."