Lime juice tenderizes the steak while garlic, chili powder and red pepper flakes kick things up. My husband and I came up with this together as something lighter to make on the grill. —Caroline Shively, Alexandria, Virginia
Featured In: 45 Superfoods for Your Brain
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each)
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients; spread over both sides of steaks. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Let steaks stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Steak in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p54
Reviews forSouthwest Steak
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 24, 2011
"I thought this was a fantastic recipe, although whenever I make it I make sure to double the marinade."
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2009
"The meat was so tender and the marinade gave it a great flavor, without being too spicy. Just the right amount of heat."
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2009
"These are DELICIOUS!"