With a mix of whole wheat and white bread, spinach and black beans, this hearty strata has an amazing savory flavor the whole family will love. Pinto or cannellini beans may be substituted for black beans with fantastic success. —Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Recommended: 45 Skinny Breakfast Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 2-1/2 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- Place half of the bread cubes in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with beans, spinach and half of the cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, cilantro and salt. Pour over top. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Spinach Strata in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p35