My family and friends love this variation of plain fried potatoes because they add some "zing" to our breakfast. And for even more Southwestern flair, we top ours with my homemade salsa.
Recommended: 21 Dishes with an Egg on Top
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 cups thinly sliced peeled uncooked potatoes
- 6 slices fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- In a 10-in. cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry potatoes until lightly browned and tender. Add ham and cook until heated through. Sprinkle with chiles and cheese. Remove from the heat and cover until the cheese is melted. Serve in the skillet. Top with salsa. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Skillet Dish in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p31