- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Place pork in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix cider, green chilies, garlic, salt, pepper sauce, chili powder, pepper, cumin and oregano; pour over pork. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove roast from slow cooker; discard cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks. Arrange salad greens on a large serving platter. Top with pork, black beans, tomatoes, onion, corn and cheese. Serve with salad dressing.
Freeze option: Place shredded pork in a freezer container; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Shredded Pork Salad
"Sounds good. Just wanted to say Hi to author. My Grandparents lived in Ada @ the Callen nursing home."
"My family and I had this last night and we loved it. It wasn't too spicy so even my picky little boys enjoyed it too."