- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 heads Boston Lettuce, washed and chilled
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained or fresh orange sections
- Combine salad dressing ingredients; mix well and set aside. Arrange lettuce, avocado, onion and oranges on individual plates. Drizzle salads with dressing just before serving. Yield: 6 salads.
Reviews forSouthwest Salad
"This is a perfect hot weather salad!"
"easy and delicious. Uses items we always have on hand. The dressing is not overly sweet. We also add sliced roasted almonds."
"Absolutely wonderful!! I don't normally care for vinegar & oil based dressings, but this was so refreshing & light because of the orange & lemon."
"This will be a great summer side dish :)"
"I've been making a similar salad for years. my salad consists of torn spinach, butter lettuce and romaine, red onions rings, mandarin oranges, and avacados slices. I lay it ona large flat salad bowl. the dressing I make: I cup orange juice with lots of pulp, 1/4 cup of oil, 1 tsp of garlic salt. 2 tbls of red chili powder (like grandma's spicy) 1//2 tsp cumin powder and 2 tbls of sugar, mix in the blender and pour over the salad"