Southwest Pork and Bean Salad
"This salad is tasty on its own," writes Lynn Biscott of Toronto, Ontario, "but we also like it as a filling for tacos or tortillas."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup cubed cooked pork
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the vinegar, water, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Pour over pork mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve on lettuce-lined plates if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 336 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Southwest Pork and Bean Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.