Southwest Onion Fritters
These crispy, golden onion fritters are full of south of the border flavor. Serve them with guacamole and sour cream for the perfect finishing touch. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Guacamole and sour cream
- Whisk together first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream and cilantro; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in onions.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with guacamole and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 fritter: 57 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Olé Onion Fritters in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018