Southwest Mango Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cubed peeled mango
- 2/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup pepitas or salted pumpkin seeds
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, beans, mango, red pepper, jicama and onions. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss chicken mixture with spinach and salad greens. Sprinkle with pepitas.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 314 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Jan 2, 2010
I did not make this recipe yet - looks good, but I wanted to let everyone know a good use for the leftover pepper jelly. Pour it over a block of cream cheese and serve with butter crackers (such as Club or Townhouse) for an addictive appetizer.
Jul 31, 2009
I did the same thing - kept the green separate so they don't get soggy. The recipe didn't specify, but I think you should probably use pumpkin seeds without the shell. I'd never used pumpkin seeds before, so I used the ones with shells still on, and my husband kept picking them out of his mouth because he couldn't chew them.The jalapeno jelly was kinda expenseive, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of it. If anyone has an idea for a substitution for that ingredient, that would be great.
Jul 19, 2009
I've been a subscriber since your Premier issue and this is one of the tastiest main dish salads yet. The jalapeno pepper jelly really adds a great taste touch to the dressing. Definitely a keeper!cloggerjan
Jul 9, 2009
Just made this salad today and it's a keeper! Lots of flavor and the dressing is subtle but delish! I did have to go out and buy jalapeno pepper jelly. I bought the green jar which is mild. The red jar of Jalapeno is hot. Since I knew I would have leftovers I didn't mix the salad greens with the chicken & dressing mixture. Should be great tomorrow too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.