Southwest Gyros Recipe
When the gray days of winter set in, we begin dreaming of dishes that evoke the sunny side of life. Thanks to bold Southwestern flavors, we just might make it to spring. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 5 whole pita breads, warmed
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook beef and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Combine mayonnaise and salad dressing mix in a small bowl. Spoon beef mixture over pita breads; top with the arugula, cheese and mayonnaise mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Gyros
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2013
"Excellent should be for EXTRA special. This is VERY good!!!! We loved them and will make them again. They are also not bad in the Weight Watcher category - 6 pts."
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2012
"Very good recipe! My husband spotted this one and absolutely loved it!"
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC