When the gray days of winter set in, we begin dreaming of dishes that evoke the sunny side of life. Thanks to bold Southwestern flavors, we just might make it to spring. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 5 whole pita breads, warmed
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook beef and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine mayonnaise and salad dressing mix in a small bowl. Spoon beef mixture over pita breads; top with the arugula, cheese and mayonnaise mixture. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Gyros in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p15
Reviews for Southwest Gyros
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review