Southwest Cornbread Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine the cornbread mix, eggs, milk and chiles until blended. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and 2 cups cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the water, vinegar, oil and taco seasoning. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cut cornbread into 1-in. cubes. In a large serving bowl, layer the cornbread, bean mixture and remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 293 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 30, 2019
This one had an interesting mix of flavors,. I enjoyed it, but others of my family not so much. Keeping this in my recipe box, though, for future potluck purposes.
Feb 11, 2011
Yummy recipe. I used fresh roasted green chilies in corn bread I also added a 1/2 c. fresh roasted grn. chilies to the salad. I replaced the green pepper with 3 jalapenos and used green onions instead red onion & let sit in fridge over night. It was very tasty, the whole family loved it.
Jan 16, 2011
Very good andeasy
Jan 11, 2011
The cornbread was an odd base for the "salad". I would have preferred it on the side.