- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a bowl, combine the chili beans, corn, onion and cumin. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine milk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoons over chili mixture; carefully spread over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Corn Bread Bake
"After reading Idaiello's review, I decided to add about a cup of salsa to the beans and corn mixture. It came out pretty good, and it was not dry at all. This whips up really quickly. I popped the bean mixture in the microwave for four minutes on medium power while making the cornbread, then baked 25 minutes. It still feels like it can be tweaked a little more, reason why I gave it four stars."
"Made the recipe as written and it was good, but a little dry . My husband is a meat and potato man and he liked the basic idea but missed meat. The 2nd time I added 1 pound ground beef browned with the onion. Added 1 can Campbells tomato soup ,cumin, corn and mixed all in an 8x8 dish. Wammed whole thing 3 minutes in microwave while I made cornbread. Spread cornbread and Baked 20 minutes at 350. My husband really liked it with the ground meat better. Thanks for the basic concept.Passed the recipe to My girlfriend who's vegan ..she loved it as is."