Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Top servings with cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 183 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Jan 15, 2018
Delicious and easy! I added corn and a can of refried beans.
Jan 8, 2015
Great recipe! I added black beans and red chile powder to kick up the heat.
May 3, 2014
Tasty soup I made in a pinch when I realized I was out of an ingredient for another soup. The kids and hubby loved this one! Followed recipe as written with only the addition of some green Chiles since I did not have Mexican diced tomatoes.
May 2, 2013
Delicious! Very flavorful! I used diced tomatoes with green chilis. I also added black beans and corn. The sweet corn was a nice contrast to the spicy heat! Very quick and easy.
Mar 5, 2012
Added 1 can of black beans, a chopped yellow pepper and 1 cup of frozen corn. Topped with shredded cheese, avocado and a little sour cream. Very good!
Mar 1, 2012
Squeeze a lime on top and taste the flavor come alive! I added Corn and Black beans as well.. Yummy Yummy! Ill make it over and over!
Feb 12, 2012
this is the best recipe for chicken soup i have made this ten times
Jan 21, 2012
Love this recipe.
Sep 6, 2011
I've made a different Chicken Tortilla Soup for about 7 years now but decided to try this one... and I think this is the new winner. My husband loved it too... said it was "full of flavor!" My 3 year old daughter didn't care for it because it was a little spicy but I'm sure she'll learn to like it!
Dec 20, 2010
I love when things work out like they should!! I accidentally used too much chicken broth, but it all worked out fine! I also added a can of corn and I fried some cut up corn tortillas for topping and added some cheese and avocado slices. It was wonderful, my family loved it.