Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Top servings with cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 183 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Jan 15, 2018
Delicious and easy! I added corn and a can of refried beans.
Jan 8, 2015
Great recipe! I added black beans and red chile powder to kick up the heat.
May 3, 2014
Tasty soup I made in a pinch when I realized I was out of an ingredient for another soup. The kids and hubby loved this one! Followed recipe as written with only the addition of some green Chiles since I did not have Mexican diced tomatoes.
May 2, 2013
Delicious! Very flavorful! I used diced tomatoes with green chilis. I also added black beans and corn. The sweet corn was a nice contrast to the spicy heat! Very quick and easy.
Mar 5, 2012
Added 1 can of black beans, a chopped yellow pepper and 1 cup of frozen corn. Topped with shredded cheese, avocado and a little sour cream. Very good!
Mar 1, 2012
Squeeze a lime on top and taste the flavor come alive! I added Corn and Black beans as well.. Yummy Yummy! Ill make it over and over!
Feb 12, 2012
this is the best recipe for chicken soup i have made this ten times
Jan 21, 2012
Love this recipe.
Sep 6, 2011
I've made a different Chicken Tortilla Soup for about 7 years now but decided to try this one... and I think this is the new winner. My husband loved it too... said it was "full of flavor!" My 3 year old daughter didn't care for it because it was a little spicy but I'm sure she'll learn to like it!
Dec 20, 2010
I love when things work out like they should!! I accidentally used too much chicken broth, but it all worked out fine! I also added a can of corn and I fried some cut up corn tortillas for topping and added some cheese and avocado slices. It was wonderful, my family loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.