- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sour cream, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the chicken, salsa, cheese, beans and seasonings; heat through. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Chicken Stromboli
"Really like this recipe! Made with no alterations for our appetizer night. It paired really well with the toasted Mexican ravioli"
"Was time effective, but the Family did not like. Ended up throwing away"
"Made filling as per recipe but did use the Pillsbury pizza crust instead of making it from scratch to save some time. I'll definitely make again and hopefully be able to make the entire recipe as written and will then probably give it a full 5 stars!! Made it for a football party and went over very well with all."
"These were very good! I thought it was a lot of work for a "simple" meal, but the end result was still very good!"
"Made this recipe as written except that I used green pepper instead of yellow since that is what I had. My family loved it. We decided if time was a factor the filling could easily be used for tacos or burritos. Will definitely make this again."
"Great recipe, healthy & yummy! Since didn't have much time, I used Pillsbury pizza dough, still turned out great. This is a keeper, for the time that I run out of ideas of what to make.Thank you so much for sharing your recipe."
"This sandwich was delicious, it tasted like a burrito."
"Used a left over roasted chicken, left out the cumin-not a fan. Otherwise would not change a thing! Also delicious reheated in the oven @250 for about 18 min."
"I made several changes, the first of which was not using a bread machine, since I don't have one. I dissolved the yeast in the water (but at 90-110 degrees), then added the rest of the dough ingredients (except the milk powder, which I left out), and kneaded it with my mixer until smooth (around 7ish minutes). Then I sprayed with Pam and covered to let double (around 30 minutes). I also used mozzarella and cheddar instead of the Mexican blend because I wanted to use my mozzarella that I had left over. It was really tasty, and it looked really nice."