- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute red pepper and onion until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, corn, lime, jalapeno, black pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, green onions and chicken; heat through.
Peppers (Hot)Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1-1/2 cups: 199 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.