Southwest Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute red pepper and onion until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, corn, lime, jalapeno, black pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, green onions and chicken; heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 199 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2015
This soup is really good, but I'd be careful with that lime..I use a quarter of one, and taste for flavor. An entire lime is way too much if your limes have a strong taste. Also watch the jalapenos for the same reason. Somehow I attained the perfect balance when I made this soup, earlier today...I used homemade stock and beans cooked from dried. It's just hot enough without scorching the tongue...A good basic recipe to use/tweak as you will..I'll make it again.
Sep 30, 2012
Delicious - I did not use lime (only bc I didn't have any) but the rest was perfect! Can't wait to have again!
Jul 4, 2012
After making the soup and tasting it, I agreed with one reviewer who said it "needed something". I added a teaspoon of taco seasoning and this really added much needed flavor. I served it with a dolop of FF sour cream, a tsp of salsa and a few tortilla chips. This is an easy recipe for sure, just needed more flavor.
Jun 8, 2011
The lime absolutely ruins this otherwise perfect soup. The other thing this needs is fresh chopped cilantro. I also added cooked limas, about 3/4 of a cup. I would make this again just without the lime. way way too bitter. And I cook all the time so I know this is what ruined it.
Mar 12, 2011
It was pretty good...needs salt and something else in my opinion, but I'm not sure what that "something else" is...